All International students who study at Marsden must be living with a parent or be in a homestay. Families are carefully selected from within our community and work with Marsden to provide a homestay that offers a safe, supportive physical and emotional environment. The Marsden Homestay Manager selects and monitors homestay families for International Students and works closely with the Dean of International Students.
My parents never had to worry about me being in the hands of other people thousands of miles away ... my Marsden homestay made the experience not only endurable but also enjoyable.
Venus Lam 2014 Hong Kong
Samuel Marsden Collegiate School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students. Copies of the Code are available see links below or visit the New Zealand Ministry of Education website http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/studying-in-new-zealand/coming-to-study-in-new-zealand/international-student-care/.
|Code of Practice Translations PDF|
- All family members of the homestay who are over 18 years of age will be Police vetted.
- The Homestay Manager will make an assessment of the homestay carer's ability to provide suitable accommodation and appropriate physical and emotional support and guidance.
- Marsden provides guidelines and support structure for homestay providers through the Homestay Manager.
- The Homestay Manager stays in regular contact with homestay families as well as visiting each student's homestay at least twice a year.
- The Dean of International Students seeks ongoing feedback from students on their homestay situations and liaises with the Homestay Manager over any concerns.
The Homestay Manager for Samuel Marsden Collegiate School is Lyn Brooks. Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org
A strong commitment to pastoral care throughout the School is part of the special character and philosophy of Marsden. All international students are supported by their:
- Form Teacher or Tutor
- Dean of International Students
- Year Level Dean
- Academic Director
- Director of Pastoral Care
- Guidance Counsellor
The Dean of International Students provides encouragement and support for our students from overseas and meets with students weekly. An International Club assists students to integrate into the School community and share their experiences of other cultures.
Each student's academic and personal development is monitored by the Academic Director and the Pastoral Care system. Regular reports are sent to parents. Where necessary, these can be translated into the student's first language.
Our Principal takes an active interest in the welfare of our students.
Watch this farewell speech from International Student Stephanie Pan about what it is like to study in New Zealand and attend Marsden School - November 2016.