Marsden marks special Anniversary
2018 was an important moment in the history of Marsden, as we celebrated our 140th birthday. On the 20th of May we have another very special anniversary to mark. It is 100 years since Miss Baber's School in Fitzherbert Terrace passed into the hands of the Wellington Diocesan Schools’ Board and became an Anglican school.
Back in 1920, Archbishop Sprott spoke of his great wish for Miss Baber’s School to be officially connected with the Church, for it ‘has long held an honoured place in New Zealand education’. The gift of ten acres of land in Karori from the Riddiford family, for the use of the synod to ‘impart education within the diocese’ was the perfect opportunity to re-establish Miss Baber’s school in its present location and re-name our school in honour of New Zealand’s first missionary, Samuel Marsden. The Archbishop expressed his hope that ’in no very distant time, there would be erected at Karori, buildings not unworthy of the name they bear.’
A visit to our beautiful campus today would see physical evidence that the Archbishop’s dream was fully realised and has survived – and thrived over the last century. Not evident in the buildings, but fully integrated into our special character, are the many examples of ways in which faith-based values strengthen us as a community. As an Anglican school our service ethic, our caring for each other and our exploration of spirituality enrich us.